Skip to main content

Within Reach home

The three-step solution to fix errors on your credit report

Personal finance • September 17, 2019 • Paul Chun

Learn about how to get a copy of your credit report and fix errors on it.

What you’ll learn

  • Where to get a free copy of your credit report
  • What you will need to fix errors on your credit report
  • How to file a dispute with a credit reporting agency

Your credit report is important. The best way to make sure your report is accurate is to pay close attention to the details. You should check your credit report periodically to ensure there are no errors.

To get a free copy of your annual credit report from Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion, visit You can get your free copy online or through the mail.

If you notice any errors, the correction process can be simple and can take as little as 30 days. Below are three steps to help you fix any errors on your report:

  1. Document the errors

    The first step to fix any error on your credit report is to prove that the information listed is incorrect. The most common errors found are incorrect spending limits on each on your credit cards or a monthly payment that was mistaken as late. If any of these errors apply to you, you should attach official documents from your bank and clearly circle or highlight the correct spending limit.

  2. Write a dispute letter

    The fastest way to dispute your case is to submit it through to the credit reporting agency's website. You will need copies of any documents that are related to your case. This can include bank statements, credit card statements, or receipts of loan payments. If you're filing your dispute by mail, try to make your case as easy to read as possible. Be sure to send duplicates of your documents, not original copies.

  3. Keep track of your dispute

    Once you file a dispute, you will most likely receive a response within 30 days. There is no cost or limit to how many disputes you can file. If you haven't received a response on your credit report in 60 days, contact the credit reporting agency. If the credit reporting agency agrees there's an error, they have to notify the other major consumer reporting agencies to get it corrected.

Paul Chun is a copywriting intern at Sallie Mae. When he’s not writing content, he’s taking photos or exploring the city of Boston.

Within Reach home

Sallie Mae does not provide financial, tax, or legal advice and the information contained in this article does not constitute tax, legal, or financial advice. Sallie Mae does not make any claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in this article. Readers should consult their own attorneys or other tax advisors regarding any financial strategies mentioned in this article. These materials are for informational purposes only and do not necessarily reflect the views or endorsement of Sallie Mae.